In most instances, the second most expensive purchase you make after buying a house is your car. Just as houses need upkeep and maintenance, so do automobiles. Providing your car with TLC regularly will add to a long life and pleasant driving. Regular vehicle maintenance is key to this goal. By vehicle maintenance, we mean regular oil changes, wiper blade replacement, tire replacement when tread deteriorates, and another very important item to keep your engine healthy…. Fluids.
Regularly checking your vehicle’s fluids is guaranteed to save you time and money. Which fluids should be checked? Listed below are five of your engine’s fluids:
- Check oil once a month.
- Refer to your owner’s manual to know when to have the oil replaced. Each vehicle is different.
- Transmission fluid should also be checked once a month and replaced (flushed/evacuated) every 50,000 to 100,000 miles (check owner’s manual).
- Brake fluid should be checked once a month and replaced every 2 years.
Power Steering Fluid
- Power Steering fluid also should be checked once a month.
- Check your owner’s manual for the recommended timetable of replacing power steering fluid.
- Coolant checks are seasonal… before summer and before winter.
- It should be replaced every 2 to 3 years.
The Gill’s Automotive Service Team cares deeply about the health of your vehicle. We are here to answer any of your questions and to check your engine’s fluids anytime. Call us TODAY at 703-421-9760 to schedule an appointment or to discuss any of your maintenance needs.